Why an Understanding of Hermeneutics
Is Important for Christian Counselors
Saturday, October 17th, 2020
9 a.m. through 12 noon
DescriptionHermeneutics (how to properly interpret the Bible) is a course usually taught in seminaries, but an understanding of hermeneutics can also be very helpful to Christian counselors. This webinar will explain why.
1. Define the term “hermeneutics”
2. Explain several reasons why an understanding of hermeneutics is important for Christian counselors
3. Explain why “The meaning of a text is what it means to me” is not a valid interpretive strategy
4. Understand the process involved in developing an accurate interpretation of a passage, and be able to start to use that process when doing one’s own Bible study and counseling
5. Identify the most common hermeneutical mistake Christian counselors make in interpreting a Bible verse or passage (and how to correct that mistake), and
6. Identify several passages that Christian counselors or clients frequently misinterpret when doing counseling. Some of those verses include:
a. Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.
b. Psalm 33:4 Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart
c. Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
d. Isaiah 26:3 You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you.
7. Be able to explain why those are not valid interpretations or applications of those passages, be able to explain what would be more accurate interpretations or applications of them, and know alternative verses you could use to convey a message that would be hermeneutically valid.
- $10 for PBA Students.
- $29 for SFACC Clinical & Affiliate Members.
- $39 for non‑SFACC members.
About the Presenter
Dr. Henry Virkler
The speaker is the author of the book Hermeneutics: Principles and Processes of Biblical Interpretation, a book that was originally written to train Christian counselors. It has now been translated into eight languages and is being used around the world in Bible colleges and seminaries to teach biblical interpretation.
Affiliate membership is free for Pastors, Church Ministry Leaders, Lay Counselors, Marriage Mentors, Counseling students, non‑licensed counselors, and retired counselors.
Sponsored by the Graduate Counseling Program of Palm Beach Atlantic University and South Florida Association of Christian Counselors
This workshop has been approved for 3 (general) hours of continuing education with the Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy, & Mental Health Counseling and the Florida Board of Psychology, CE Broker Tracking # 20-715227 (CE Broker Provider BAP #820).
Click here to join/learn more about our association today!